Last modified: April 21, 2017
DirtSpotter, as a membership site, respects your right to privacy and will make sure any information provided by you and about you remains private and confidential in compliance with the Data Protection Act. In order to evaluate how many visitors we receive, which pages are most visited and viewed and how we might improve our service, we do collect and analyse information about people who visit our site. Information tracked may include internet addresses and pages visited. Personal information, such as names and e-mail addresses of our members are stored and protected as proprietary and hence your privacy is safeguarded.
There are many different ways you can use our services – to search for and share information, to communicate with other people or to create new content. When you share information with us, for example by creating a DirtSpotter Account, we can make those services even better – to show you more relevant search results and ads, to help you connect with people or to make sharing with others quicker and easier. As you use our services, we want you to be clear how we’re using information and the ways in which you can protect your privacy.
- What information we collect and why we collect and store it.
- How we use that information.
- Our efforts in maintaining security and any required notifications.
We’ve tried to keep it as simple as possible, but if you’re not familiar with terms like cookies, IP addresses, pixel tags and browsers, then read about these key terms first. Your privacy matters to DirtSpotter so whether you are new to DirtSpotter or a long-time user, please do take the time to get to know our practices – and if you have any questions contact us. We respect your privacy. As DirtSpotter is a membership site, we reserve the right to contact our members either directly or via email in order to fulfill our intentions of offering members the content and services that support their interests as members.
1. Information we collect or store. We collect information to provide better services to all of our users and to combat Fraud or Abuse. This may include basic stuff like which area you are searching, to more complex things like:
a. Credit card data, which is transmitted to payment processors via a security protocol (e.g. SSL). Data you post on or send via the Site, and/or send us directly or via other sites. Data you submit or provide (e.g. name, address, email, phone, fax, photos, tax ID). Web log data (e.g. web pages viewed, access times, IP address, HTTP headers). Data collected via cookies (e.g. search data and “favorites” lists). Data about your device(s) (e.g. screen size, DOM local storage, plugins). Data from 3rd parties (e.g. phone type, geo-location via IP address).
- We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us. For example, our services require you to sign up for a DirtSpotter Account. When you do, we’ll ask for personal or business information, like your name, email address, telephone number or credit card to store with your account. If you want to take full advantage of the sharing features we offer, we might also ask you to create a publicly visible DirtSpotter Profile, which may include your name, company name and photo or logo.
- Information we get from your use of our services. We collect information about the services that you use and how you use them, like when you watch a video on YouTube, visit a website that uses our advertising services, or view and interact with our ads and content.
c. Device information. We collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number). DirtSpotter may associate your device identifiers or phone number with your DirtSpotter Account.
d. Log information. When you use our services or view content provided by DirtSpotter, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include details of how you used our service, such as your search queries, and time and date of your activity.
- Internet protocol address. Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL. cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your DirtSpotter Account.
f. Location information. When you use DirtSpotter services, we may collect and process information about your actual location.
g. Local storage. We retain data as needed for our business purposes and/or as required by law. We make good faith efforts to store data securely, but can make no guarantees. You may access and update certain data about you via your account login.
h. Cookies and similar technologies
We and our partners may use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit a DirtSpotter service, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device. We also use these technologies to collect and store information when you interact with services we offer to our partners, such as advertising services or DirtSpotter features that may appear on other sites. Analytics products help businesses and site owners analyze the traffic to their websites and apps. Information we collect when you are signed in to DirtSpotter, in addition to information we obtain about you from partners, may be associated with your DirtSpotter Account. When information is associated with your DirtSpotter Account, we treat it as personal information.
3. How we use information we collect. We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect DirtSpotter and our users. For example, we continuously monitor our systems to check that they are working as intended and in order to detect and fix errors. We also may use this information to offer you tailored content – like giving you more relevant search results and ads. When you contact DirtSpotter, we keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements. We use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services.
5. Information you share. Our service lets you share information with others. Remember that when you share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines, including Google. Our services provide you with different options on sharing and removing your content.
6. Information we share. We may disclose user data in aggregate/summary form, where it cannot reasonably be used to identify you. We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of DirtSpotter unless one of the following circumstances applies:
b. For legal reasons. We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of DirtSpotter if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably, or legally necessary.
7. Information security. We work hard to protect DirtSpotter and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt many of our services using SSL.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to DirtSpotter employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.